04.06.14 17:02, Paul Moore написав(ла):
On 4 June 2014 14:39, Serhiy Storchaka <storch...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think than breaking O(1) expectation for indexing makes the implementation
significant incompatible with Python. Virtually all string operations in
Python operates with indices.

I don't use indexing on strings except in rare situations. Sure I use
lots of operations that may well use indexing *internally* but that's
the point. MicroPython can optimise those operations without needing
to guarantee O(1) indexing, and I'd be fine with that.

Any non-trivial text parsing uses indices or regular expressions (and regular expressions themself use indices internally).

It would be interesting to collect a statistic about how many indexing operations happened during the life of a string in typical (Micro)Python program.