For Jython and IronPython, UTF-16 may be best internal encoding.

Recent languages (Swiffy, Golang, Rust) chose UTF-8 as internal encoding.
Using utf-8 is simple and efficient. For example, no need for utf-8
copy of the string when writing to file
and serializing to JSON.

When implementing Python using these languages, UTF-8 will be best
internal encoding.

To allow Python implementations other than CPython can use UTF-8 or
UTF-16 as internal encoding efficiently,
I think adding internal position based API is the best solution.

>>> s = "\U00100000x"
>>> len(s)
2
>>> s[1:]
'x'
>>> s.find('x')
1
>>> # s.isize() # Internal length. 5 for utf-8, 3 for utf-16
>>> # s.ifind('x') # Internal position, 4 for utf-8, 2 for utf-16
>>> # s.islice(s.ifind('x')) => 'x'

(I like design of golang and Rust. I hope CPython uses utf-8 as
internal encoding in the future.
But this is off-topic.)

INADA Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>