>> I wonder how a hybrid approach would work? Use a dynamically-created
>> class, but then construct the __new__ method using exec and inject it
>> into the new class. As far as I can see, it's only __new__ that benefits
>> from the exec approach.
>>
>> Anyone tried this yet? Is it worth an experiment?
>
> I'm not sure what the benefit would be. Other than the ast manipulations
> for __new__, the rest of the non-exec code is easy to understand.

I misread this, sorry. This might work for collections.namedtuple, but
is probably not worth the hassle or churn of changing it.

The main reason I switched to ast for namedlist is because generating
the text version of __new__ or __init__ with default parameter values
was extremely difficult, so an approach of exec-ing that one function
wouldn't work for me.

Eric.