> On Oct 29, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Steve Dower <steve.do...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:07:53 -0400
>> Tres Seaver <tsea...@palladion.com> wrote:

>>> My experience with distributing distributions-with-extensions
>>> indicates that the vast majority of Windows developers who are
>>> "downstream" users for those distributions *cannot* build them from
>>> source:  if there is no MSI / bdist_win (maybe now wheel), they won't use
>>> the project.
>>>
>>> (Note that "having an MSDN subscription" is not the same as "knowing
>>> how to configure which compiler such that it can bulid extensions
>>> against an installed Python binary").
>>
>> I don't think you have to configure anything. Just install the right Visual
>> Studio version and it's done.
>
> The tricky part here is the *right* Visual Studio version. As many have
> noted, there were bugs/missing components in some of the older Express
> editions (like the 64-bit compiler integration), and even the compiler pack
> we released recently doesn't actually help building Python itself, though
> it's good for extensions. In general, VS 2008 Professional and VS 2010
> Professional are easiest to set up if you can get them, the C++ Express
> editions are fairly easy to set up, and the Windows SDK is difficult but
> possible (and won't currently build CPython either, as the build depends on
> VS - I'm also fixing this for 3.5).
>
> My ideal target (Utopia refined to be achievable) is for python-dev to handle
> the Python binaries themselves (already done) and to make them easy to bundle
> with applications/etc (I'm working on this for 3.5), and for PyPI to include
> pre-built wheels for Windows where necessary.
>
> Note that I don't require package developers to build their own wheels,
> though I think that they are generally the right people to be doing it. It
> would be nice to create a culture of delegation, so that "someone" could be a
> trusted builder for a range of packages (for example, I'd love it if
> Continuum/Enthought/similar could provide their builds of numpy/scipy as
> wheels and those projects would be willing to have them be the official PyPI
> downloads). This is roughly how the python.org installers are handled, and
> while it may cause some lag between source and binary releases, I think the
> release cycles are slow enough that most users would only notice that "pip
> install numpy" now works.

For the record, a long term “down the road” kind of thing I want to do is have
PyPI have a build farm which can build Wheels. So that people upload a source
distribution to PyPI and it kicks off Wheel builds on the various platforms
automatically.

What this looks like is a complete unknown, all I have is the general idea.

---
Donald Stufft