> On Nov 30, 2014, at 6:18 AM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>
> Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> writes:
>
>> I think there is a big difference here between using a closed source
>> VCS or compiler and using a closed source code host. Namely in that
>> the protocol is defined by git so switching from one host to another
>> is easy.
>
> GitHub deliberately encourages proprietary features that create valuable
> data that cannot be exported — the proprietary GitHub-specific pull
> requests being a prime example.

Once a Pull Request is merged there is little benefit to the PR itself,
however if you want the diff you can create a .patch file by appending
.diff or .patch to the end of the PR URL.

> So it is only true to say one can export the data to a different host if
> one entirely abandons all those features which create GitHub-proprietary
> data.

That’s not true at all. There is an API that allows you to access *all*
of the data that is stored there. Allowing you to replicate it to whatever
system you wish.

> If you want to re-write the PEP to be clear you are only talking about
> the repository hosting of GitHub, and *not* any of its extra features
> that make it so attractive to use their proprietary service, I'd be
> interested to see that.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to promote those proprietary features as
> part of the PEP, then it is disingenuous to claim the data can be easily
> exported to a different host.
>
> --
> \            “Do not enter the lift backwards, and only when lit up.” |
>  `\                                                —elevator, Leipzig |
> Ben Finney

---
Donald Stufft