On 6 August 2015 at 15:04, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 August 2015 at 09:29, Victor Stinner <victor.stin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 5 août 2015 17:12, "Nick Coghlan" <ncogh...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>> A hard dependency on wheel wouldn't fit into the same category - when
>>> folks are using a build pipeline to minimise the installation
>>> footprint on production systems, the wheel package itself has no
>>> business being installed anywhere other than developer systems and
>>> build servers.
>>
>> I'm quite sure that virtualenv is used to deploy python on production.
>>
>> Pip 7 automatically creates wheel packages when no build wheel package is
>> available on PyPI. Examples numpy and any pure python package only providing
>> a tarball.
>>
>> For me it makes sense to embed wheel in ensurepip and to install wheel on
>> production systems (to install pacakes, not to build them).
>
> pip can install from wheels just fine without the wheel package being
> present - that's how ensurepip already works.

pip can also do this without setuptools being installed; yet we bundle
setuptools with pip in ensurepip.

I am thus confused :).

When I consider the harm to a production pipeline that using
setuptools can cause (in that it triggers easy_install, and
easy_install has AFAIK none of the security improvements pip has added
over the last couple years....), I find the acceptance of setuptools,
but non-acceptance of wheel flummoxing.

> The wheel package itself is only needed in order to support the
> setuptools "bdist_wheel" command, which then allows pip to implicitly
> cache wheel files when installing from an sdist.
>
> Installing from sdist in production is a *fundamentally bad idea*,
> because it means you have to have a build toolchain on your production
> servers. One of the benefits of the wheel format and projects like
> devpi is that it makes it easier to discourage people from doing that.
> Even without getting into Linux containers and tools like pyp2rpm,
> it's also possible to create an entire virtualenv on a build server,
> bundle that up as an RPM or DEB file, and use the system package
> manager to do the production deployment.

Yes: but the logic chain from 'its a bad idea' to 'we don't include
wheel but we do include setuptools' is the bit I'm having a hard time
with.

> However, production Linux servers aren't the only case we need to care
> about, and there's a strong user experience argument to be made for
> providing wheel by default upstream, and telling downstream
> redistributors that care about the distinction to do the necessary
> disentangling to make it easy to have "build dependency free"
> production images.
>
> We've learned from experience that things go far more smoothly if we
> thrash out those kinds of platform dependent behavioural differences
> *before* we inflict them on end users, rather than having downstream
> redistributors tackle foreseeable problems independently of both each
> other and upstream :)
>
> Hence my request for a PEP - I can see why adding wheel to the
> ensurepip bundle would be a good idea for upstream, but I can also see
> why it's a near certainty downstream Linux distros (including Fedora)
> would take it out again in at least some situations to better meet the

Does Fedora also take out setuptools? If not, why not?

> needs of *our* user base. (Since RPM has weak dependency support now,
> we'd likely make python-wheel a "Recommends:" dependency, rather than
> a "Requires:" dependency - still installed by default, but easy to
> omit if not wanted or needed)

So, a new PEP?

-Rob

--