On 7 August 2015 at 17:20, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> I’m not sure if —no-build-tools make sense, since I plan on removing
> setuptools from ensurepip completely once pip can implicitly install it. PEP
> 453 explicitly called out the fact that setuptools was installed as an
> implementation detail with an eye to remove it in the future. Adding flags
> that deal with it specifically doesn’t seem like the right path to go down.

I'd be happy for the flag to go the other way, and have to supply
"--build-tools" in order to opt in to having ensurepip install
setuptools and wheel in addition to pip itself. If we did that, the
downstream setup would likely be the even weaker "Suggests"
dependency.

My use case here is the "offline Python installation" one - having the
build tools bundled with CPython and readily available is still useful
for cases where you have your own code you want to build, but can't go
to the internet to get a build toolchain.

Cheers,
Nick.