On 26 October 2015 at 19:43, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2015-10-26 18:45, Sven R. Kunze wrote:

>>> Sometimes order matters, and sometimes it does not.  If the order
>>> does not have an impact on the final code, it does not matter, and
>>> making us have to remember an order that does not matter is a
>>> waste.
>>

>> Order that matters? You must be kidding. That would turn different
>> types of string extremely hard to understand because semantics
>> differ.
>>
>> That is, btw., one reason, why I favor a fixed order (alphabetically
>> or something). Easy to remember and no way to misinterpret it.
>>
> In Python 2, how often have you seen prefix "ur" rather than "ru"?
>
> I always used "ur".
>
> How often is alphabetical order used in the prefixes?
>
> If the order isn't alphabetical, then it's going to be some order
> that's harder to remember, so I agree with Ethan here.

In Python 2, ru". . ." is a SyntaxError, despite R coming before U in
the alphabet. And rb". . ." is also a SyntaxError, but in Python 3 it
was made legal.

I don’t see much point restricting the order of rf". . ." versus fr".
. .". Neither flag is particularly more important than the other, and
even if one were, should that one be at the front, or at the end
closer to the string?