On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 19:24:44 -0000, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 at 12:10 Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
> > wrote:

But there are other paths than OS file system paths.  I prefer
__fspath__ or __os_path__ myself.  I think the fact that it is a string
is implied by the fact that it is getting us the thing we can pass
to the os (since Python3 deals with os paths as strings unless you
specify otherwise, only converting them back to bytes, on unix, at the last
moment).

Heh, although I suppose one could make the argument that it should
return whatever the native OS wants, and save the low level code
from having to do that?  Pass the path object all the way down
to that "final step" in the C layer?  (Just ignore me, I'm sure
I'm only making trouble :)

--David