On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 2:53 AM, Jon Ribbens
<jon+python-...@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 04:04:21PM +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
>> However, it's not at all clear (to me at least) what you *are* trying
>> to do.
>
> I'm trying to see to what extent we can use ast node inspection to
> remedy the failures of prior attempts at Python sandboxing. Is there
> *any* extent to which Python can be sandboxed, or is even trying to
> use it as a calculator function unfixably insecure?

It all depends on how much functionality you want. If all you need is
a numeric expression evaluator, that's not too hard - disallow all
forms of attribute access, etc, and just have simple numbers and
operators. That's pretty useful, and safe. Alternatively, go
completely the other way. Let people run whatever code they like... in
an environment where it can't hurt anyone else. That's what PyPyJS
does - don't bother looking for security holes in it, because all
you're doing is attacking your own computer.

The hard part comes when you want to allow *some*, but not all,
interaction with the outside world. When I was looking into this kind
of sandboxing (although it was Python-in-C++ rather than
Python-in-Python), it was to allow untrusted users to control certain
parts of server-side execution. The result was dismal, because it's
fundamentally impossible to allow the level of control I wanted
without allowing a level of control I didn't want.

So before you can ask whether Python is unfixably insecure, you first
have to decide what the minimum level of functionality is that you'll
accept. Do you need basic arithmetic plus trignometric functions? Easy
enough - disallow all attribute access and imports, and populate
builtins with "from math import *". Need them to be able to assign
variables and define functions? That's gonna be harder.

ChrisA