> https://gist.github.com/brettcannon/b3719f54715787d54a206bc011869aa1 has the
> four potential approaches implemented (although it doesn't follow the
> "separate functions" approach some are proposing and instead goes with the
> allow_bytes approach I originally proposed).

IMHO the best argument against the flavor 4 (fspath: str or bytes
allowed) is the os.path.join() function.

I consider that the final goal of the whole discussion is to support
something like:

    path = os.path.join(pathlib_path, "str_path", direntry)

Even if direntry uses a bytes filename. I expect genericpath.join() to
be patched to use os.fspath(). If os.fspath() returns bytes,
path.join() will fail with an annoying TypeError.

I expect that DirEntry.__fspath__ uses os.fsdecode() to return str,
just to make my life easier.

I recall that I used to say that Python 2 doesn't support Unicode
filenames because os.path.join() raises a UnicodeDecodeError when you
try to join a Unicode filename with a byte filename which contains
non-ASCII bytes. The problem occurs indirectly in code using hardcoded
paths, Unicode or bytes paths. Saying that "Python 2 doesn't support
Unicode filenames" is wrong, but since Unicode is an hard problem, I
tried to simplify my explanation :-)

You can apply the same rationale for the flavors 2 and 3
(os.fspath(path, allow_bytes=True)). Indirectly, you will get similar
TypeError on os.path.join().

Victor