>> I consider that the final goal of the whole discussion is to support
>> something like:
>>
>>     path = os.path.join(pathlib_path, "str_path", direntry)
>
> That's not a *new* problem though, it already exists if you pass in a
> mix of bytes and str:
> (...)
> There's also already a solution (regardless of whether you want bytes
> or str as the result), which is to explicitly coerce all the arguments
> to the same type:

> (...)

I don't understand. What is the point of adding a new __fspath__
protocol to *implicitly* convert path objects to strings, if you still
have to use an explicit conversion?

I would really expect that a high-level API like pathlib would solve
encodings issues for me. IMHO DirEntry entries created by
os.scandir(bytes) must use os.fsdecode() in their __fspath__ method.

os.path.join() is just one example of an operation on multiple paths.
Look at os.path for other example ;-)

> os.path.join(*map(os.fsdecode, ("str", b"bytes")))

This code is quite complex for a newbie, don't you think so?

My example was os.path.join(pathlib_path, "str_path", direntry) where
we can do something to make the API easier to use.

I don't propose to do anything for os.path.join("str", b"bytes") which
would continue to fail with TypeError, *as expected*.

Victor