> MAKE_FUNCTION opcode is complex due to the way it receives
> input arguments: (...)

Yeah, I was always disturbed how this opcode gets parameters.

> My suggestion is to pre-package 1-4 before calling MAKE_FUNCTION,
> i.e. explicitly emit BUILD_TUPLE for defaults args and BUILD_MAPs
> for keyword defaults and annotations.

I read the code. I fact, I don't understand why it wasn't done like
that since the beginning :-p

> Then, MAKE_FUNCTION will become a dramatically simpler
> 5 argument opcode, taking

Would you like to work on a patch to implement that change?

Since Python 3.6 may get a new bytecode format  (wordcode, see the
other thread on this mlailing list), I think that it's ok to change
MAKE_FUNCTION in the same release.

Victor