On Sat, Jun 11, 2016, at 22:37, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 05:14:50PM -0400, Random832 wrote:
> > So, I have a question. If this "weakness" in /dev/urandom is so
> > unimportant to 99% of situations... why isn't there a flag that can be
> > passed to getrandom() to allow the same behavior?
>
> The intention behind getrandom() is that it is intended *only* for
> cryptographic purposes.

I'm somewhat confused now because if that's the case it seems to
accomplish multiple unrelated things. Why was this implemented as a
system call rather than a device (or an ioctl on the existing ones)? If
there's a benefit in not going through the non-atomic (and possibly
resource limited) procedure of acquiring a file descriptor, reading from
it, and closing it, why is that benefit not also extended to
non-cryptographic users of urandom via allowing the system call to be
used in that way?

> Anyway, if you don't need cryptographic guarantees, you don't need
> getrandom(2) or getentropy(2); something like this will do just fine:

Then what's /dev/urandom *for*, anyway?