On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Christian Heimes <christ...@python.org> wrote:
> No, LTS support should not be our concern. If you need a brand new
> version of Python on an old LTS or Enterprise version of your OS, please
> contact your vendor and buy support. You don't get to run old metal and
> play with shiny new toys at the same time for free.

I think I agree with you, but I'm not fully convinced. The current
stable Debian (Jessie) also ships OpenSSL 1.0.1, although 1.0.2 is
available in backports. The next stable release (Stretch) is expected
some time 2017. That's not the same as "running an old LTS" - that's
running the latest non-dev release. Is it acceptable to tell people to
install a library from backports if they want to compile the latest
Python?

ChrisA