On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 August 2016 at 19:14, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Christian Heimes <christ...@python.org>
>> wrote:
>>> No, LTS support should not be our concern. If you need a brand new
>>> version of Python on an old LTS or Enterprise version of your OS, please
>>> contact your vendor and buy support. You don't get to run old metal and
>>> play with shiny new toys at the same time for free.
>>
>> I think I agree with you, but I'm not fully convinced. The current
>> stable Debian (Jessie) also ships OpenSSL 1.0.1, although 1.0.2 is
>> available in backports. The next stable release (Stretch) is expected
>> some time 2017.
>
> I agree keeping build compatibility with the latest Debian stable
> release is a sensible baseline, but 3.7 won't land until some time in
> 2018, so Christian's proposed timeline still works on that front (but
> jumping straight to requiring 1.0.2 in 3.6 wouldn't, suggesting that
> supporting the latest Debian stable release will be a genuinely useful
> guideline in helping to make decisions about minimum supported OpenSSL
> versions for new CPython releases).

Cool. I may have slightly misunderstood this from the OP:

> For upcoming 3.6 I would like to limit support to 1.0.2+ and require
> 1.0.2 features for 3.7.

What does "limit support" mean? Will it be possible to build CPython
3.6 against OpenSSL 1.0.1?

For 3.7, sure. Once Stretch has been stable for a year, it's not
unreasonable to declare that the newest Python won't run on oldstable.
Just not so sure about 3.6, where Stretch won't be stable yet. But
even there, Jessie has been stable since Apr 2015 (so, 18 months or so
by the time Python 3.6 comes out - that's one entire Python release),
so I could well understand not wanting to be shackled by it. Saying
"the latest CPython demands that you enable backports in your apt
sources.list" wouldn't be unreasonable.

ChrisA