On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:17 AM, Larry Hastings <la...@hastings.org> wrote:
> Given that the weakref doesn't have a reference to the object--merely a weak
> reference, different thing--whose reference is it borrowing?

As others have said, it doesn't really matter who's reference it was;
just that there was another at the time it was returned.  Clearly it
can't be considered valid once additional Python code might be run.

> FWIW, yes, this is playing merry hell with the Gilectomy.  If there are two
> threads, and one calls PyWeakref_GetObject(obj), and there's only one
> reference to obj, and the other thread blows it away... now what?  It's my
> contention that this API is simply untenable under the Gilectomy, and that
> it needs to change to returning a new (strong) reference.

+1 for this change.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein