On May 30, 2017, at 11:38 AM, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 11:16 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storch...@gmail.com> wrote:
30.05.17 09:06, Greg Ewing пише:
Steven D'Aprano wrote:
What does "tp" stand for? Type something, I guess.

I think it's just short for "type". There's an old tradition
in C of giving member names a short prefix reminiscent of
the type they belong to. Not sure why, maybe someone thought
it helped readability.

In early ages of C structures didn't create namespaces, and member names were globals.

That's nonsense. The reason is greppability.

Nonsense is a little harsh :).  Global member names aren’t why you used prefixes, but early C has them.
I burned my fingers on them as a small programmer on this.  Sometime before 1980.

Jonathan Cronin
jcro...@egh.com