On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:49 AM, David Wilson <dw+python-...@hmmz.org <mailto:dw+python-...@hmmz.org>> wrote:

    On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 09:38:55PM +0300, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:

    > > In early ages of C structures didn't create namespaces, and member
    > > names were globals.

    > >That's nonsense. The reason is greppability.

    > Good reason!

    The first time I heard about prefixing struct members was to allow
    tricks like this:

        x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/stat.h
        94:# define st_atime st_atim.tv_sec     /* Backward
    compatibility.  */
        95:# define st_mtime st_mtim.tv_sec
        96:# define st_ctime st_ctim.tv_sec

    Which is relatively safe thanks to the prefix.

Believe me that is not why the prefix convention was introduced.

Sure, but grepping was not the reason either. Serhiy had the right explanation.