On Saturday, October 21, 2017, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 October 2017 at 09:32, Victor Stinner <victor.stin...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','victor.stin...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>
>> Le 21 oct. 2017 20:31, "francismb" <franci...@email.de
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','franci...@email.de');>> a écrit :
>>
>> I understand that one can just multiply/divide the nanoseconds returned,
>> (or it could be a factory) but wouldn't it help for future enhancements
>> to reduce the number of functions (the 'pico' question)?
>>

>> If you are me to predict the future, I predict that CPU frequency will be
>> stuck below 10 GHz for the next 10 years :-)
>>

> There are actually solid physical reasons for that prediction likely being
> true. Aside from the power consumption, heat dissipation, and EM radiation
> issues that arise with higher switching frequencies, you also start running
> into more problems with digital circuit metastability ([1], [2]): the more
> clock edges you have per second, the higher the chances of an asynchronous
> input changing state at a bad time.
>
> So yeah, for nanosecond resolution to not be good enough for programs
> running in Python, we're going to be talking about some genuinely
> fundamental changes in the nature of computing hardware, and it's currently
> unclear if or how established programming languages will make that jump
> (see [3] for a gentle introduction to the current state of practical
> quantum computing). At that point, picoseconds vs nanoseconds is likely to
> be the least of our conceptual modeling challenges :)

There are current applications with greater-than nanosecond precision:

- relativity experiments
- particle experiments

Must they always use their own implementations of time., datetime.
__init__, fromordinal, fromtimestamp ?!

- https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=femtosecond
- https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=attosecond
- GPS now supports nanosecond resolution
-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_clock#More_accurate_experimental_clocks

> In 2015 JILA <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JILA> evaluated the
absolute frequency uncertainty of their latest strontium-87
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_strontium> optical lattice
clock at 2.1 × 10−18, which corresponds to a measurable gravitational time
dilation <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation> for
an elevation change of 2 cm (0.79 in)

What about bus latency (and variance)?

From
https://www.nist.gov/publications/optical-two-way-time-and-frequency-transfer-over-free-space
:

> Optical two-way time and frequency transfer over free space
> Abstract
> The transfer of high-quality time-frequency signals between remote
locations underpins many applications, including precision navigation and
timing, clock-based geodesy, long-baseline interferometry, coherent radar
arrays, tests of general relativity and fundamental constants, and future
redefinition of the second. However, present microwave-based time-frequency
transfer is inadequate for state-of-the-art optical clocks and oscillators
that have femtosecond-level timing jitter and accuracies below 1 × 10−17.
Commensurate optically based transfer methods are therefore needed. Here we
demonstrate optical time-frequency transfer over free space via two-way
exchange between coherent frequency combs, each phase-locked to the local
optical oscillator. We achieve 1 fs timing deviation, residual instability
below 1 × 10−18 at 1,000 s and systematic offsets below 4 × 10−19, despite
frequent signal fading due to atmospheric turbulence or obstructions across
the 2 km link. This free-space transfer can enable terrestrial links to
support clock-based geodesy. Combined with satellite-based optical
communications, it provides a path towards global-scale geodesy,
high-accuracy time-frequency distribution and satellite-based relativity
experiments.

How much wider must an epoch-relative time struct be for various realistic
time precisions/accuracies?

10-6 micro µ
10-9 nano n -- int64
10-12 pico p
10-15 femto f
10-18 atto a
10-21 zepto z
10-24 yocto y

I'm at a loss to recommend a library to prefix these with the epoch; but
future compatibility may be a helpful, realistic objective.

Natural keys with such time resolution are still unfortunately likely to
collide.