On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That Py_DecodeLocale() can use PyMem_RawMalloc() pre-init is an
>> implementation detail.
>
> Py_DecodeLocale() uses PyMem_RawMalloc(), and so its result must be
> freed by PyMem_RawFree(). It's part the documentation.

Ah, I'd missed that.  Thanks for pointing it out.

> I'm not sure that I understood correctly. Do you agree to move "PyMem"
> globals back to Objects/obmalloc.c? (to allow to call
> PyMem_RawMalloc() before Py_Initialize())

I'm okay with that if we can't find another way.  However, shouldn't
we be able to statically initialize the raw allocator in _PyRuntime,
much as we were doing before in obmalloc.c?  I have a rough PR up:

    https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/4481

Also, I opened https://bugs.python.org/issue32096 for the regression.
Thanks for bringing it up.

-eric