On 12/3/2017 9:07 PM, Eric V. Smith wrote:
On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com <mailto:e...@trueblade.com>> wrote:

    On 12/3/2017 3:33 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

        Thanks.  I have to ask: why don't "asdict" and "astuple" respect
        PEP 8
        naming?

    I guess it depends if you think the underscore is needed to improve
    readability. "Function names should be lowercase, with words
    separated by underscores as necessary to improve readability."

    I don't feel strongly enough about it to change it, but part of that
    is because I'm burned out on the PEP, so I might not be a good one
    to judge at this point. I guess if I clear my head and I were doing
    it from scratch again I'd make them as_dict and as_tuple, so maybe I
    should brush aside inertia and make the change.

The Python stdlib is incredibly inconsistent where it comes to inserting underscores. I think in this case it matches `namedtuple._asdict()` and that's good enough for me.

It also matches `attrs.asdict()`, which is what originally inspired it.

After a brief discussion at https://github.com/ericvsmith/dataclasses/issues/110, the decision is to leave the function names as-is, without underscores, to be consistent with namedtuples and attrs.

I'll add a note in the PEP's discussion section.

Eric.