On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 01:53:00AM -0500, Terry Reedy wrote:
> 'The most base type'
[...]
> I have suggested
> "The superclass for all Python classes."
> "The starting base class of all types and classes other than itself."
>
> I intended to pick the second, but Serhiy Storchake wants more opinions.

Yay, bike-shedding!

How about:

"the base class of the class heirarchy"

"the root of the class heirarchy"

Java used to say this about Object:

    "The root class of the Java class hierarchy. All non-primitive types
    (including arrays) inherit either directly or indirectly from this
    class."

but now says:

    "Class Object is the root of the class hierarchy. Every class has
    Object as a superclass. All objects, including arrays, implement the
    methods of this class."

https://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Object.html

Ruby says this about Object and BasicObject:

    "Object is the default root of all Ruby objects. Object inherits
    from BasicObject which allows creating alternate object
    hierarchies."

    "BasicObject is the parent class of all classes in Ruby. It's an
    explicit blank class."

https://ruby-doc.org/core-2.5.0/Object.html
https://ruby-doc.org/core-2.5.0/BasicObject.html

The root of Julia's object heirarchy is Any, but if it is documented
anywhere, I can't find it. The interactive help just says:

    Any
        No documentation found.

--
Steve