On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
wrote:

> Is that one attribute that big a deal? I suppose that simple dataclasses
> with only two or so attributes would see a significant change, but if
> you're really worried about space, wouldn't you use a namedtuple or simply
> a tuple anyway?

It's not just the space I worry about, it's about stomping on the user's
namespace for instance variables. So far dataclasses works by adding things
to the class only -- I want to place the bar pretty high before we change
that.

Anyway, there are several solutions now that people can implement as
separate class decorators and distribute via PyPI (or copy into their own
codebase) so I don't think now's the time to consider adding this to
dataclasses. Maybe for  Python 3.8.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)