I made this comment previously but because I think it's important I'm going to repeat it.

Fedora's Python version migration needs to be coordinated with RHEL.

Yes I know Fedora is independent of both Red Hat and RHEL but the real world reality is spec files are shared between both. At the moment you cannot easily share a spec file between the two, this leads to maintaining two independent spec files for something that ought to be nearly identical and increases the burden on package maintainers and increases the opportunity for errors.

The transition is already going to be painful, let's not make it more painful than it needs to be.

At a minimum the set of RPM macros to manage the difference between Python versions needs to be identically supported in both Fedora and RHEL. I'd like to see this as an explicit goal of the transition strategy.

--
John