On 28.7.2017 16:17, Colin Walters wrote:

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017, at 07:47 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Colin Walters <walt...@verbum.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017, at 12:07 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:

   * Switch /usr/bin/python to Python 3 in cooperation with Python upstream.

That again?  That really seems like a nonstarter; previous
discussion specifically around Atomic Host + Ansible:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/de...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/T4PGIEUYXWXSDRVWYQ2BJXCECL45XWVW/

Ansible now supports clients that are py3 only and there's active work
[1] to enable py3 for the controller as well.

Yes.  But basically, I don't think we can rely on everyone porting their Ansible
code to Python3 anytime soon.  Among other reasons, many, many organizations
will need their Ansible (and in general, "config mgmt/scripting") to work across
RHEL7 and Fedora hosts.  For Fedora Atomic Host (which may be different from
Workstation!) I don't see dropping /usr/bin/python as python2 until RHEL7 is
near EOL.  Maybe we don't do security updates for it etc., but still.

If we don't switch it in Fedora until RHEL7 is near EOL, it will neither be changed in any hypothetical future versions of RHEL, because RHEL tends to be based on Fedora. And than you can say that we cannot do the switch in Fedora until that hypothetical future version of RHEL is near EOL and you will end up never changing it at all. The change has to start somewhere and even though I cannot really speak about RHEL,
I would think that changing it in Fedora first makes more sense.

Miro Hrončok
--
Phone: +420777974800
IRC: mhroncok