I can definitely understand your point.

The only issue with it (besides that it doesn't seem to be a good way for dependency management) is how do you manage the syntax involved here?

Pip provides distributions. Each distribution contains a set of packages and modules. The latter can be imported, the former not. That's also due to the fact that the name of distribution can contain minuses:

from __pip__ import nova-lxd   # would this work?

What about versions?

from __pip__ import run-lambda>=0.1.0   # would this work?

Maybe, I thinking too complicated here but if it works for, say, "requests" people tend to want it for special cases as well. :)

Cheers,

Sven