On 13.10.2016 01:29, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 06:32:12PM +0200, Sven R. Kunze wrote:

So, my reasoning would tell me: where have I seen * so far? *args and
**kwargs!
And multiplication.

Multiplication with only a single argument? Come on.

And sequence unpacking.

We are on the right side of the = if any and not no the left side.

[...] is just the list constructor.
Also indexing: dict[key] or sequence[item or slice].

There's no name in front of [. So, I cannot be an index either.

Nothing else matches (in my head) and I also don't see any ambiguities. YMMV.

I remember a new co-worker, I taught how to use *args and **kwargs. It was unintuitive to him on the first time as well.

About the list constructor: we construct a list by writing [a,b,c] or by writing [b for b in bs]. The end result is a list and that matters from the end developer's point of view, no matter how fancy words you choose for it.

Cheers,
Sven