So I realize this is subjective and just a personal experience, but over
the last 3-5 years I've really watched Python usage and popularity decline
in the "hearts and minds" of my peers, across a few different companies I
work with. At my current gig we don't even use Python anymore for tools
that will be distributed to an end user; we only use Python for internal
tooling.

With a still difficult distribution/compatibility story, I've watched
dozens of instances where people choose something else, usually Node or
Golang. The primary uses here are api and microservice-type applications,
developer tooling, and CLI apps. Even recent additions like `async` keyword
are causing more problems because it's not a useful general-purpose
concurrency primitive eg. like a goroutine or greenlets.

I know the scientific community is a big and important part of the Python
ecosystem, but I honestly believe other parts of Python are suffering from
any dragging of feet at this point. Python 3 has been out nearly a decade,
and I think it would be super for the community to take a bold stance (is
it still bold 9 years later?) and really stand behind Python 3,
prominently, almost actively working to diminish Python 2.

I've been hearing and reading about both for a long time, and honestly I'd
love one of them to go away! I don't even care which :-)

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:

> On 1/27/2017 4:38 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Stephan Houben <
>> stephanh42-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> FWIW, I got the following statement from here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/wiki/Numerical-software-on-Windows
>>>
>>> "Standard numpy and scipy binary releases on Windows use pre-compiled
>>> ATLAS
>>> libraries and are 32-bit only because of the difficulty of compiling
>>> ATLAS
>>> on 64-bit Windows. "
>>>
>>> Might want to double-check with the numpy folks; it would
>>> be too bad if numpy wouldn't work on the preferred Windows Python.
>>>

>> That's out of date
>>

> Would be nice if it were updated...
>
>  -- official numpy releases have switched from ATLAS
>
>> to OpenBLAS (which requires some horrible frankencompiler system, but
>> it seems to work for now...), and there are 32- and 64-bit Windows
>> wheels up on PyPI: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/numpy/
>>

> and from
>
> NumPy, a fundamental package needed for scientific computing with Python.
> Numpy+MKL is linked to the Intel® Math Kernel Library and includes
> required DLLs in the numpy.core directory.
>
>     numpy‑1.11.3+mkl‑cp27‑cp27m‑win32.whl
>     numpy‑1.11.3+mkl‑cp27‑cp27m‑win_amd64.whl
> etc.
>
> All the several packages that require numpy also come in both versions.
>
> 64-bit is definitely what I'd recommend as a default to someone
>> wanting to use numpy, because when working with arrays it's too easy
>> to hit the 32-bit address space limit.
>>
>> -n
>>

> --
> Terry Jan Reedy