On Jan 27, 2017 4:51 PM, "Random832" <random...@fastmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017, at 12:54, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> I know the scientific community is a big and important part of the
> Python ecosystem, but I honestly believe other parts of Python are
> suffering from any dragging of feet at this point. Python 3 has been
> out nearly a decade, and I think it would be super for the community
> to take a bold stance (is it still bold 9 years later?) and really
> stand behind Python 3, prominently, almost actively working to
> diminish Python 2.

This particular subthread is regarding whether to make a 64-bit version
of python 2 and/or 3 (whatever is done regarding the other question) the
default download button for users coming from Win64 browsers. At least,
the bits you're responding to are talking about 32-bit libraries rather
than Python 2.

Yeah, I guess I was trying to push against any further stagnation, of any
kind, on forward-facing questions like 32/64 bit and 2/3 version. I
hesitated to say anything because I don't feel I'm adding much concrete or
even useful information to the conversation, but it's something that's been
building internally for a long time while observing the overarching tone
and outcomes of Python threads.

I can't articulate it we'll, or even fully isolate the reasons for it. All
I really know is how I feel when peers ask me about Python or the reading I
get when others speak about their experience using it. Python is absolutely
one of my favorite languages to write, yet I find myself recommending
against it, and watching others do the same. Python comes with caveats and
detailed explanations out the gate and people simply perceive higher
barriers and more chores.

I don't have any truly constructive input so I'll stop here; I only wanted
to voice that in my tiny tiny bubble, I'm watching market share diminish,
it's unfortunate, and I'm not sure what to do about it.