On 02/10/2017 10:48 AM, Nick Timkovich wrote:

If everything was contained right in the same file, this is sanctioning
 another way to do it (when there should only be one obvious way).

No worries, this way is not obvious.

 If you have multiple modules/packages, horrors can evolve where a class
 method could be patched in an unknown location by any loaded module (or
 you could even introduce order-of-import sensitivities).

Folks can still do that nightmare right now.

I'm -0.5 on it -- I don't think the payoff is worth the pain.

But I'm +1 on writing a PEP -- collect all these pros and cons in one place to
save on future discussion.  (And (good) PEP writing is a way to earn valuable
Python Points!)

--
~Ethan~