On 20 July 2017 at 11:35, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
>> The proposal in your email seems incomplete
>
> The proposal does not say anything about type((x=1, y=2)).  I assume
> it will be the same as the type currently returned by namedtuple(?, 'x
> y'), but will these types be cached? Will type((x=1, y=2)) is
> type((x=3, y=4)) be True?.

Right, this is one of the key challenges to be addressed, as is the
question of memory consumption - while Giampaolo's write-up is good in
terms of covering the runtime performance motivation, it misses that
one of the key motivations of the namedtuple design is to ensure that
the amortised memory overhead of namedtuple instances is *zero*, since
the name/position mapping is stored on the type, and *not* on the
individual instances.

>From my point of view, I think the best available answers to those
questions are:

- ntuple literals will retain the low memory overhead characteristics
of collections.namedtuple
- we will use a type caching strategy akin to string interning
- ntuple types will be uniquely identified by their field names and order
- if you really want to prime the type cache, just create a module
level instance without storing it:

    (x=1, y=2) # Prime the ntuple type cache

A question worth asking will be whether or not
"collections.namedtuple" will implicitly participate in the use of the
type cache, and I think the answer needs to be "No". The problem is
twofold:

1. collections.namedtuple accepts an additional piece of info that
won't be applicable for ntuple types: the *name*
2. collections.namedtuple has existed for years *without* implicit
type caching, so adding it now would be a bit weird

That means the idiomatic way of getting the type of an ntuple would be
to create an instance and take the type of it:    type((x=1, y=2))

The could still be the same kind of type as is created by
collections.namedtuple, or else a slight variant that tailors repr()
and pickling support based on the fact it's a kind of tuple literal.

Cheers,
Nick.