On 11/13/2017 11:05 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 12:32:06 +1000
Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 13 November 2017 at 04:38, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 12:20:45 +0000
Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, not exactly. Do you do python -m venv, or py -x.x -m venv or
pythonx -m venv ? Wait, it's not installed by default on debian.

Seriously? Debian don't provide venv in the standard Python install?
That's just broken.

Frankly, I don't know where the current discussion comes from, but on
two recent Debian and Ubuntu setups, I get:

$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/python3.5/venv/__init__.py
libpython3.5-stdlib:amd64: /usr/lib/python3.5/venv/__init__.py

The discussion comes from the fact that even though the code is
present it doesn't actually work:
[...]

Wow.  I had forgotten Debian could be such a user-hostile
distribution.  I'm not sure what the reason would be to use it as a
basis for a training course in Python programming, then (other than the
teacher having their own ideological preferences).

For us, it's the *student's* preference. I believe it's better to let students use the machine and environment they're used to, even if it means extra trouble for the instructors. So, we get a healthy mix of Windows, Mac, Debian, Fedora, and sometimes some surprises.