Hi Nick,

> On 14 November 2017 at 16:47, Michel Desmoulin <desmoulinmic...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Proposal A:
>> -----------
>>
>> Suffix Python executable on Windows like on Unix, so that people will
>> type pythonX.X if they want a specify version.
>>
>> Pros: easy and discoverable.
>>
>> Cons: you need a lot of stuff in the system path.
>>

> Con: we hope to have the problem resolved on the Linux distro side such
> that "python" typically means "python" by the time community support for
> Python 2 ends in 2020. Since Windows has gone the better part of two
> decades without version Python commands, adding them because we're
> impatient with the pace of change at the Linux distro level doesn't really
> make sense (especially when Linux holds such a small fraction of the
> non-phone client device market).

Perhaps I could sell you on the idea of a Windows "python3" executable, not
as the New Official Way to do things,
but rather as a pragmatic measure to make code from those Linux weirdos
;-)  more likely to work on Windows.

I would like to compare it with the strings/bytes-for-pathnames issue: the
official recommendation is to use strings
everywhere, problems with round-tripping arbitrary not-valid-UTF8 filenames
on POSIX have been solved now.
Still, POSIX people continued to use bytes, so a pragmatic change was to
make so that bytes now also work
reliably as pathnames under Windows.

Similarly, even when all Linux distributions have switched to
python==python3, people will probably still read and write
tutorials with python3 in it, and perhaps we should accommodate that.

Otherwise I am +1 on your proposal C: if anything this thread has made it
clear that there is so much variety in
third-party Python installers, not just Linux distributions, but also
things like Anaconda, that it seems unreasonable
to require that the official Python documentation covers all those
situations.

Stephan