From: Python-ideas <python-ideas-bounces+gadgetsteve=live.co...@python.org> on
behalf of Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com>
Sent: 06 February 2018 11:30
To: Alex Walters
Cc: Python-Ideas
Subject: Re: [Python-ideas] Possible Enhancement to py Launcher - set default

I'm reluctant to expand the feature set of the launcher in this
direction. It's written in C, and tightly focused on being a
lightweight launcher. Adding code to manage user options and persist
them to the py.ini file would be a non-trivial overhead, as well as
being hard to maintain (because C code and text handling :-)) It's not
that hard to manage an ini file, and if anyone wants a friendlier
interface, writing such a thing in Python as a standalone utility
would be easy, and far more robust, flexible and maintainable than
adding it to the launcher directly (you could even add a GUI if you
like ;-)).

Conceded, I'm saying this from the perspective of writing and
maintaining the code, and not from the UX/UI perspective. If someone
wants to add this feature to the launcher, I don't mind, but
*personally* I don't think it's worth it.

Paul

On 6 February 2018 at 10:10, Alex Walters <tritium-l...@sdamon.com> wrote:
> I actually like the idea of being able to modify the py.ini file to set the
> default from py.exe.  That seams like the most intuitive thing to me.

>> From: Python-ideas [mailto:python-ideas-bounces+tritium-
>>
>> Maybe the Windows installer should offer to set/change that, especially
>> when installing a non-release version?
Code of Conduct:
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpython.org%2Fpsf%2Fcodeofconduct%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C7699d0d7669c43d7c1a608d56d5515f7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636535134571322756&sdata=1ZrUqumcn4c69EGmEbQMOxL30AM%2BrYkSZSVrxBT5X7E%3D&reserved=0