>  In comparison, I think that := is much simpler.

In this case that's true, but a small modification:

        updates = {
            y: do_something_to(potential_update)
            for x in need_initialization_nodes
            for y in [x, *x.synthetic_inputs()]
            if potential_update is not None
            given potential_update = command.create_potential_update(y)
            }

Shows the flexibility of this given syntax vs ":="

If we think of "given" as just inserting a line with variable-definitions
before the preceding statement, it seems clear that:

        updates = {
            y: potential_update
            given potential_update = command.create_potential_update(y)
            for x in need_initialization_nodes
            for y in [x, *x.synthetic_inputs()]
            if potential_update is not None
            }

Should raise a NameError: name 'potential_update' is not defined, and

        updates = {
            y: potential_update
            for x in need_initialization_nodes
            for y in [x, *x.synthetic_inputs()]
            given potential_update = command.create_potential_update(y)
            if potential_update is not None
            }

Should raise a NameError: name 'y' is not defined.

For safety it seems reasonable that if a variable is "given" in a
comprehension, trying to refer to it (even if it defined in the enclosing
scope) before the inner-definition will result in a NameError.