On 28/06/2018 00:00, Nathan Goldbaum wrote:
> This is an interesting proposal. Speaking as a developer of scientific
> software packages it would be really cool to have support for something
> like this in the language itself.
>
> The software sustainability institute in the UK have written several
> blog posts advocating the use of CITATION files containing this sort of
> metadata:
>
> https://software.ac.uk/blog/2017-12-12-standard-format-citation-files
>
> A github code search for __citation__ also gets 127 hits that mostly
> seem to be research software that are using this attribute more or less
> as suggested here:
>
> https://github.com/search?q=__citation__&type=Code
>
> It's also worth pointing out http://citeas.org/ which is sort of a
> citation search engine for software projects. It uses a number of
> heuristics to figure out what the appropriate citation for a piece of
> software is.

I just thought that it might be worth pointing out that this should
actually work both ways i.e. if a specific package, module or function
is inspired by or directly implements the methods included in a specific
publication then any __citation__ entries within it should also cite
that/those or allow references to them to be recovered.

The general principle is if you are expecting to be cited you also have
to cite.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.