I'm perhaps the newest and most ignorant subscriber here - I daresay
everyone here has superior python knowledge to me, and all my other
computing knowledge is inferior to what I can do with python. (and so far,
I've had no influence at all on python)

However, this mailing list, generally, does not seem toxic to me at all. I
haven't experienced any condescension about my lack of knowledge. While I
can acknowledge that there might be superior alternatives to email, I do
think the threshold of subscribing and listening in is lower than a lot of
other options, like for example subreddits. I for example would have never
come if it'd been one of those.