> Do you see how this creates an ambiguous situation?

Name shadowing could create such ambiguous situations anyways even without
the new operator?

> In my opinion, it goes against the notion that explicit is better than
implicit.

By that logic all operation-assign operations violate that rule (e.g. "-=",
"+=" etc.). I honestly don't feel how this feels any less explicit that
what already exists in the language.

> Assumes that every function returns a value or perhaps implies purity.

So does `obj = obj.func(args)` or I've misunderstood you?

I like the operator, so +1, though I feel it could be even more useful if
it allowed accessing class members, `obj = obj.id` being equivalent to `obj
.= id`, what do you think?