On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 14:50, Brian Skinn <brian.sk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if there's an OS dependence here, though -- I'm almost certain I've
> had to use `--only-binary` in the past, to avoid pip on my Windows machines
> trying to download and build sdists, even when wheels were available.

Pip prefers newer versions over older ones. If there's a newer version
with no binaries, pip will use the source for that version and try to
build, even if there are older binaries. `--only-binary` would address
that (although there is also a `--prefer-binary` flag in newer
versions of pip, which is better suited to that situation).

Paul