On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 17:19, Brian Skinn <brian.sk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel like the semantics of PurePath.suffix
> (https://docs.python.org/3/library/pathlib.html#pathlib.PurePath.suffix) and
> PurePath.stem define this pretty unambiguously.
[...]
> p.with_stem("baz.quux")
>   "baz.quux.txt"

Cool. Sounds like

def with_stem(self, new_stem):
    self.with_name(new_stem + self.suffix)

is the preferred solution. I agree it seems like the right option.

As I said, I don't think it's a big deal either way. A bugs.python.org
issue with an attached PR implementing (and documenting) this seems
like the way to go - no big need to debate it. Although it's good that
we caught the difference in behaviour between the two options - any
patch adding this should include tests for this particular corner case
(and any others that you can think of ;-))

Paul