Sounds like a hallucination or fabrication. The behavior of `for i in
range(10): i` in the REPL exists to this day, and list.append() never
returned a value.
The only thing I'm only 90% sure of is whether the REPL always ignored None
values.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 11:58 AM Tim Peters <tim.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx>]
> > What we get instead is a clear divide between mutating methods
> > on collections that (almost)  always return None, and functions
> > like sorted() and reversed() that return copies of the underlying
> > collection/iterable. Of course, there are many methods that don't
> > have functions matching them. Python could have been designed
> > differently, but using the consistency it follows is best.
>
> For a bit of history that I may have made up (heh - memory fades over
> time!), as I recall, the very first Python pre-releases echoed to
> stdout every non-None statement result.  So, e.g.,
>
>     for i in range(5):
>
> displayed the same as the current
>
>     for i in range(5):
>         print(i)
>
> But one prolific early user loved chaining mutating method calls, each
> returning `self`, and so their output was littered with crap they
> didn't want to see.  They didn't want to prefix every computational
> statement with, e.g., "ignore = ", so Guido stopped the magical
> output.
>
> Perhaps surprisingly, few people noticed the difference.  But that may
> in large part be due to that there were few people, period.
>
> Or I'm just hallucinating again :-)
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/WOKUBTEZEXCX5HE4TKJ5GG73ILVO6LMK/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>