I agree that dataclasses are for a slightly different use case.

It looks like this could be implemented as a decorator using the
functionality afforded by `inspect.signature`, though what I've come up
with so far is a bit clunky because you have to account for parameters that
could be positional or keyword and assigning default values for missing
arguments.

If this were added, I assume that static analysis tools would need to be
updated to account for the assumption that each instance has attributes
with the same names that appear in the `__init__` signature, and I have no
idea what that would entail. It would probably pose a similar issue for
automated refactoring.

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 4:48 PM Lewis Ball <lrjb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did think about data classes and although I haven't really used them
> much they do seem to be for a different use case, for example they don't
> support keyword-only args or positional-only args. I'm not sure if there
> are any other differences. Maybe a data class which supported kW-only args
> and pos-only args would suit my use case.
>
> On Mon, 4 May 2020, 21:19 Henk-Jaap Wagenaar, <wagenaarhenkj...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You are not the first to have this idea. Unless I am mistaken you might
>> find what you are looking for in dataclasses which were added in Python 3.7:
>>
>> https://docs.python.org/3/library/dataclasses.html
>>
>> On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 19:06, Lewis Ball <lrjb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> First of all, if this is something which has been discussed in the past
>>> the please point me in the right direction.
>>>
>>> *Problem:*
>>>
>>> When creating classes in Python, I find myself writing the __init__
>>> method in a very similar way a lot of the time, that is:
>>> ```
>>> def __init__(self, argument_1, argument_2, argument_3=None):
>>>     self.argument_1 = argument_1
>>>     self.argument_2 = argument_2
>>>     self.argument_3 = argument_3
>>>     # then maybe some other attribute setting and logic follows
>>> ```
>>>
>>> Every argument of __init__ gets a corresponding attribute with the same
>>> name. This means that each `argument_i` has been typed 3 times, which seems
>>> overly-verbose as well as being easy to mistype. This pattern is easy to
>>> find in various popular python libraries, and in some it is actually
>>> enforced. For example, I do quite a bit of work with classifiers using the
>>> sklearn estimator API, and for various reasons sklearn enforce this pattern
>>> for an __init__ (see here
>>> <https://scikit-learn.org/stable/developers/develop.html#instantiation>
>>> if interested).
>>>
>>> Here is an example of this pattern from the standard library (from
>>> textwrap.TextWrapper):
>>> ```
>>> def __init__(self,
>>>          width=70,
>>>          initial_indent="",
>>>          subsequent_indent="",
>>>          expand_tabs=True,
>>>          replace_whitespace=True,
>>>          fix_sentence_endings=False,
>>>          break_long_words=True,
>>>          drop_whitespace=True,
>>>          break_on_hyphens=True,
>>>          tabsize=8,
>>>          *,
>>>          max_lines=None,
>>>          placeholder=' [...]'):
>>> self.width = width
>>> self.initial_indent = initial_indent
>>> self.subsequent_indent = subsequent_indent
>>> self.expand_tabs = expand_tabs
>>> self.replace_whitespace = replace_whitespace
>>> self.fix_sentence_endings = fix_sentence_endings
>>> self.break_long_words = break_long_words
>>> self.drop_whitespace = drop_whitespace
>>> self.break_on_hyphens = break_on_hyphens
>>> self.tabsize = tabsize
>>> self.max_lines = max_lines