On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:36 AM Raymond Hettinger <
raymond.hettin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Isn't a tuple essentially just a frozenlist? I know the intended
> >> semantics of tuples and lists tend to be different, but I'm not sure
> that's
> >> relevant.
>

> In terms of API, it might look that way.  But in terms of use cases, they
> are less alike:  lists-are-looping, tuples-are-for-nonhomongenous-fields.
> List are like database tables; tuples are like records in the database.
>  Lists are like C arrays; tuples are like structs.

Right, that's what I'm referring to. If you're comparing two things which
are meant to represent completely different entities (say, comparing a
record to a table) then your code is probably completely broken (why would
you be doing that?) and having equality return False isn't going to fix
that. Conversely I can't see how returning True could break a program that
would work correctly otherwise.

If you're comparing a list and a tuple, and you haven't completely screwed
up, you probably mean to compare the elements and you made a small mistake,
e.g. you used the wrong brackets, or you forgot that *args produces a tuple.