On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:31 AM Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:

> I'm going to ask that people please try to keep this thread on-topic to
> the question of using Unicode characters directly for things that we
> currently use two ASCII characters to represent.

Indeed -- and also: please refer to earlier conversations on this list and
elsewhere -- this is NOT a new idea!

I'd suggest also that the question at hand be more global: Should Python be
extended to allow non-ascii characters in syntax? Rather than one or two
specific ones.

ON a related note, another way to get "Nicer" multi-character operatores is
lignatures. Jet BRains has put out a font with a pretty full set:

https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/mono/#ligatures

(you can use that font with most Editors / IDEs -- works great with
Sublime, for instance)

That way, it's still two ascii characters, but it looks like one nifty
symbol in your editor.

Maybe no need to complicate Python? ;-)

-CHB

--