On 2020-05-20 14:56, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Not everyone is programming in a GUI environment all the time

Well, I gave a number of examples to show there are many ways to do it. Not every example will work well for everyone. The best that works for your platform and tools should be chosen. There are numerous others I didn't bother to mention.

- Code formatters such as "go fmt", yapf, black, etc could update them.

I think this is the choice with the least effort required, a code formatter.

For example, a tip was given to me that you can save keystrokes writing Python by using single-quotes exclusively (which I do) then let black change them to double later.

I still come across
monospaced fonts where certain symbols have annoying "off by one pixel"
display bugs, or are missing the exact symbol you need.

I use "Source code pro" often and Symbola occasionally and they work well. Full math notation is problematic and likely farther than anyone is proposing. I do use box-drawing occasionally and don't have any alignment problems with them even cross-platform.

I can sincerely say that I am very happy that your experience is so
good, but I'm also exceedingly jealous of it. I don't think your
experience scales to the majority of people.

It's true that I did take a few moments to configure things to make it easier for me. Once done however, easy.

But, the majority is now using emoji everywhere, in defiance of curmudgeons. I've never heard anyone complain it's "too hard."

-Mike