On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 03:37, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:30:56PM +0200, Marco Sulla wrote:
>
> > Well, in terminals like bash, `clear` does not really delete the
> > input is the current input.
>
> That's not actually correct: in bash, `clear` actually deletes the
> scrollback buffer too.
>
> In modern Linuxes, `clear` takes an option `-x` which suppresses that
> behaviour. Perhaps you have an alias?
>
>     alias clear='clear -x'

Well, this is interesting. From `man clear`:

clear  clears  your screen if this is possible, including its
scrollback buffer (if the extended “E3” capability is defined).
-x   do not attempt to clear the terminal's scrollback buffer using
the extended “E3” capability.

So probably I always used pseudoterminal without E3 capability.

I think that in this case `clear` simply writes N enter chars, until
the terminal is "cleared". IMHO this is the safest option.