On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 11:26 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> What sort of testing and maintenance perspective are you referring to?
> Testing and maintenance of the Python interpreter? Or your own code?
>
> If it is your own code then this proposal will have no effect on your
> testing and maintenance. You already have tests, don't you? Then they
> will work the same way whether your functions use late-bound defaults or
> not. If you don't have tests, then the tests that you don't have will
> continue to not work the same as they currently don't work.

For the record: Out of 430 test files in the CPython test suite, only
eight failed after I finished my first version of the implementation.
That's a lot of tests that don't even care.

(Some of those failures indicate actual problems that I needed to fix,
or still need to. A couple are simple and very rigid tests that check
things like the size of a function object. I don't think any of them
indicate actual problems in any place other than the code I actually
need to change - the parser, executor, and the inspect module.)

Most code won't even be aware of this change.

ChrisA