On Tue, Dec 07, 2021 at 06:42:18PM +0000, Rob Cliffe via Python-ideas wrote:

[The other Stephen]
> >That's a strawman.  The argument is not "Your proposal is good, but
> >not perfect, so we reject it."
>
> That IMO is exactly the argument.  It's like saying "I won't buy a car
> today because in 10/20/50 years time I can probably buy a driverless one".

I think a better analogy for those who reject late-bound defaults but
would accept a general deferred evaluation mechanism is:

"I won't buy a driverless car today because I have a perfectly good car
now, and **driving is not a sufficient burden** that I care for this
feature alone. But fully autonomous robots that could drive my car,
clean my house, do my chores, now *that's* something I would buy!"

[the other Stephen]
> > if _*you*_ do this other stuff we would likely support it."
> > [My emphasis - RC.]
>
> You want *Chris* to implement deferred-evaluation objects?

Clearly not. It's obvious in context that Stephen is talking about
*generic* "you". He's not addressing his comment to Chris.

Anyone could read the comment and interpret that "you" as themselves,
and respond "What a great idea! I'm going to implement deferred
evaluation!". You surely don't imagine that Stephen thinks, or implies,
that those who want a generic deferred evaluation feature would reject
it if it wasn't done specifically by Chris himself.

I know that the Python-Ideas community is changable like the wind and
rather mercurial, but we've never yet demanded a feature we want be
implemented by a *particular person* or else we will reject it.