On 5/04/22 6:05 am, Ethan Furman wrote:
It seems to me that these "unitless' units actually have units, even if they *appear* to cancel each other out.

I think it's more that units alone don't capture everything
that's important about the physical situation.

Another example: the capacitance of a capacitor is the area of the plates divided by the distance between them and multiplied by a
constant. Unit-wise, an area divided by a length is just a length,
so the constant has units of farads per metre. But the metres don't
correspond to a length you can measure anywhere.

--
Greg